Monday, July 14, 2008

Redwoods




After the Big City, we headed north through dozens of vineyards to the Redwood Forest. I've been saying every place is my favorite so I've been a bit dramatic, but this really was my favorite. The trees of course are gigantic and the forest enchanting. I expected to see deer and chipmunks to pop out and start singing. The forest was right along Northern California on the Pacific coast and it was beautiful. The coast was rugged, quiet and wild and I could have sat there a week to take it all in. I was looking for whales but apparently it is the wrong season. I would love to return here to camp on the beach and hike through the forest. On our way out we did see a forest fire beginning which was a bit frightening and sad. The fireman came quickly. One of the firefighters' base camp was not far. We passed it and was a large field filled with tents. These men and women are amazing to be so selfless.

3 comments:

Mary E. said...

Jill et al, I am so excited that I finally found your blog after losing it! Thanks for sending...if only I had known that Liz has been reading it all along, I wouldn't have had to wait this long to catch up. All I can say is, next time take me along!! I'll ride in the snail on the roof if you'll let me. :) We miss you and can't wait to see you all when you get home. Lots of love, Mary and Bob
P.S. Happy belated birthday Tim! We lit a few firecrackers in your honor!

Jenny said...

Looks like you guys are having a blast. So are you guys going to move to Texas after staying in the desert heat? Tell the kids we said hello and looks like this is a trip to remember. Please tell Sam that I owe him $20 for watching Zane in Gulf Shores.
Love,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

All of these pictures are beautiful, especially the ones with the family.
I can just imagine the Dunham family going back to Granville and packing up the house to move west.
Have fun.
Love,
Mom